|Over the course of 7 observing seasons spanning the years 2004-2011, we
used CWRU Astronomy's Burrell Schmidt telescope at Kitt Peak National
Observatory to conduct a deep, wide-field imaging survey of the nearby
Virgo Cluster of galaxies. The survey footprint covers 16.7 square
degrees in the Washington M filter and 15.3 square degrees in a
modified Johnson B filter ("Bdsp"), with 11.1 square degrees covered in both
filters. The data is transformed into standard Johnson B and V
magnitudes, and we achieve a limiting 3-sigma surface brightness of
mu(B)=29.5 and mu(V)=28.5.|
Team Members:PI: Chris Mihos, Department of Astronomy, Case Western Reserve University
- Paul Harding, CWRU
- John Feldmeier, Youngstown State
- Craig Rudick, University of Kentucky
- Steven Janowiecki, ICRAR, University of Western Australia
- Heather Morrison, CWRU
- Colin Slater, University of Washington
- Aaron Watkins, CWRU
The calibrated, masked/median-binned (9x9) surface brightness maps are available here:
Full resolution survey mosaics are available here. Please note these are very large fits files!
The photometric solution for the images (already applied to the masked/median-binned images) is given by:
mB = -2.5log(IB) + 0.125(B-V) + 28.973
mV = -2.5log(IM) + 0.246(B-V) + 28.606
If you use the imaging data in your research, please cite the main survey paper (Mihos et al 2017), and please also let us know how you're using the data. Thanks.
(From Mihos et al 2017)
Publications led by team members:
- The Burrell Schmidt Deep Virgo Survey: Tidal Debris, Galaxy
Halos, and Diffuse Intracluster Light in the Virgo Cluster, Mihos et al
2017, The Astrophysical Journal, in press.
- Galaxies at the Extremes: Ultra-diffuse Galaxies in the Virgo Cluster, Mihos et al 2015, The Astrophysical Journal, 809, L21.
- Stellar Populations in the Outer Halo of the Massive Elliptical M49, Mihos et al 2013, The Astrophysical Journal, 764, L20.
- Optical Colors of Intracluster Light in the Virgo Cluster Core, Rudick et al 2010, The Astrophysical Journal, 720, 569.
- Diffuse Tidal Structures in the Halos of Virgo Ellipticals, Janowiecki et al 2010, The Astrophysical Journal, 715, 972.
- Removing Internal Reflections from Deep Imaging Data Sets, Slater et al 2009, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, 121, 1267.
- The Connection Between Diffuse Light and Intracluster Planetary Nebulae in the Virgo Cluster, Mihos et al 2009, The Astrophysical Journal, 698, 1879.
- Diffuse Light in the Virgo Cluster, Mihos et al 2005, The Astrophysical Journal, 631, L41.
Other publications using BSDVS data:
- The build-up of the cD halo of M 87: evidence for accretion in the last Gyr, Longobardi et al 2015, Astronomy and Astrophysics, 579, L3.
- The Next Generation Virgo Cluster Survey. VIII. The Spatial Distribution of Globular Clusters in the Virgo Cluster, Durrell et al 2014, The Astrophysical Journal, 794, 103.
the Unusually High Black-hole-to-bulge Mass Ratios in NGC 4342 and NGC
4291: The Asynchronous Growth of Bulges and Black Holes, Bogdan et al 2012, The Astrophysical Journal, 753, 140.
Financial support for the survey has been provided by The National Science Foundation, Research Corporation, and the Department of Astronomy and College of Arts and Sciences at Case Western Reserve University.